PTA Reflections Art Program
"I AM HOPEFUL BECAUSE..." is the theme for the 2023-2024 school year.
Every year our Harrington students participate in the National Reflections Art Program. Students create original works of art in as many of the categories as they choose: Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music, Photography and Visual Art.
Start creating art now! All entries are due November 10th, 2023.
Entry Deadline: November 10th, 2023 (end of school day)
Entries are due online or in person in the front office. See the entry forms and rules below.
Award of Excellence entries move on to Plano ISD Council of PTAs Reflections. From there, a small percentage move on to the Texas PTA (State) and National PTA levels.
All entrants must have a current PTA member in their household for this school year. Click HERE to renew or join the PTA.
What Is The Reflections Art Program?
The National PTA Reflections Program is America's oldest and largest arts education program of its kind. Reflections welcomes students of all grade levels (Pre-K to 12th) and abilities to explore and be involved in the arts. Students are encouraged to reflect on the common theme and create original artistic works in the categories of dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography and visual arts.
- There is no limit on the number of entries per student as long as the rules are followed.
- Each entry must be accompanied by an official entry form linked above.
- Reflect the current theme in each entry.
- In the Artist's Statement space provided, explain your art so that the judges understand what you are trying to communicate in your entry.
- Guidelines and requirements must be met or the entry will not be judged (see the program rules above).
- Submit completed entries in person or ONLINE
- Entry Deadline: 11/10/2023
- Please email us with any questions.
What do we win? Is this a contest?
- This is not technically a contest. It is truly a program hosted by PTAs (local, council, state and national), run by volunteers, created to give students a forum to explore the arts and expand their interests and talents.
- Entries are judged by local professionals volunteering their time and talents.
- Elementary age divisions are Primary: K-2 and Intermediate: 3-5 and Special Artist (for students who qualify)
- Entries are divided into Age Division then Art Category. Judges base decisions on the artist's statement explaining how well the concept fits the theme, mastery of the medium (or how well students used the materials) and the overall creativity. *A well developed concept is more important than technique.*
- Students are individually judged on their entry and not in comparison to the other students so there can be multiple awards given within the groups.
- All entrants will be recognized at the last Spirit Rally of the Fall Semester and receive Husky Bucks (or the equivalent) for each entry! **Art prizes, certificates and ribbons are given to top entries!**
- Ribbons and certificates will be given for the following awards (a percentage of entries receive awards):
- Award of Excellence (blue ribbon)
- Award of Merit (red ribbon)
- Honorable Mention (white ribbon)
- Entries will be displayed at the school and top entries will be featured in the yearbook.
- Local Award of Excellence entries advance to Plano ISD Council of PTAs judging in December every year.
- If the entry was submitted digitally, it will need to be turned in physically for Council judging.
- A small percentage of entries are awarded at Council; then one entry per age and category (no more than 30 total) advance to the Texas PTA State level. From there they may move on to the National PTA level.
- The Texas PTA judging rules state only a small percentage of items can be awarded at the Council level:
Overall Award of Excellence 1 per age division and art category; maximum of 30 total items go to State
- Award of Excellence (Blue) 10% of the entries, OAE are chosen to move on to State from this group
- Award of Merit (Red) 15% of the entries
- Honorable Mention (Yellow) 25% of the entries
- To learn more about the judging processes or anything related to the National PTA Reflections Program, visit the Plano ISD Council of PTAs Reflections website: www.txpta.org/
- Overall Award of Excellence entries are chosen from the Award of Excellence group, so not all Award of Excellence will get the Overall award.
- Those entries are shipped to Texas PTA so they may not be returned until the end of the Spring semester.
- Entries awarded at the Council level will also be recognized at the last Spirit Rally of the year along with the Local awards.
- Students advancing past Council have chances to win monetary prizes for their art!
- Plano PTA Council of PTAs hosts an awards ceremony each year in the Spring (usually April) for students who participated in the Council level judging where they get ribbons and other prizes.
- Any awards from State judging by Texas PTA are also celebrated and awards are given by Texas PTA and their sponsors like Whataburger. Some students are invited to the awards ceremony in Austin.
Important Upcoming Dates and Events
Year at a Glance
School of Excellence 2022-2024
Thank you to our Husky community for filling out questionnaires and to the amazing partnership between our beloved Elementary, families, community, and PTA.
2022-2023 PTA Membership Awards
Become a PTA Member
Join the PTA on the Online Forms page today!
PISD Volunteer Application
Each year (beginning July 1st), individuals must submit an application in order to volunteer at PISD. Applications take several days to process and all requirements must be approved prior to volunteering.