WATCH D.O.G.S. (Dads Of Great Students) is an innovative father involvement, educational initiative of the National Center For Fathering. There are two primary goals of the WATCH D.O.G.S. program:
- To provide positive male role models for the students, demonstrating by their presence that education is important.
- To provide extra sets of eyes and ears to enhance school security and reduce bullying.
WATCH D.O.G.S. began in 1998 in a single school in Springdale, AR, and has since grown into a nationally recognized program. It has brought hundreds of thousands of fathers and father figures into the school classrooms and hallways across the country, creating millions of hours of “in school” volunteer time and having a tremendously positive impact on the education process. Today more than 4,049 schools in 46 states and DC participate in WATCH D.O.G.S. Currently, there are WATCH D.O.G.S. programs in China, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Barbados.
Who Are Watch D.O.G.S.?
Watch D.O.G.S. are fathers, grandfathers, uncles, and other father-figures who volunteer for at least one day each year at an official WATCH D.O.G.S. school. During the day, Watch D.O.G.S. may read and work on flash cards with students, play at recess, eat lunch with students, watch the school entrances and hallways, assist with traffic flow and any other assigned activities where they actively engage with not only their own students, but other students as well. Many school principals have reported that the mere presence of a Watch D.O.G. dramatically reduces reports of bullying.
WATCH D.O.G.S. play an important role at Harrington Elementary!
To get started as a Watch D.O.G., follow these REQUIRED steps:
1. Complete the Plano ISD Volunteer Application
2. Indicate your interest on the Volunteer Interest Form to be contacted about signing up for a date.
3. Commit to volunteer at least one day during the school year and wear your Watch D.O.G.S. uniform t-shirt - sign up coming soon.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Facebook: Harrington PTA
World Wear Project
Harrington receives $0.15 for every pound we donate! Drop items off anytime in the bin located in the parking lot. What's accepted: shoes, clothing (including stained, torn, or otherwise damaged), belts, purses, hats, caps, backpacks, hard toys, stuffed animals, pots and pans, metal kitchen utensils, etc.